Who we are:
The amalgamation of the two parishes occurred in 2004 at the direction of then Archbishop Barry Hickey.
St Dominic’s Innaloo Parish history is closely tied to that of the school. It was officially inaugurated on 1 November, 1954 when the school/church was built and the school was opened and blessed on 6 February 1955 by Archbishop Prindiville.
The school was used as the church for twelve years until the church was opened on 14 December 1966 with Father George O’Leary as parish priest.
Like most Catholic Primary Schools in WA St Dominic’s was founded by a religious order of sisters. The Dominican Sisters administered the school until 1987
In the following years extensions were made and a pre-primary was added. Kindergarten classes commenced in 1997 and by 2000 major upgrade to building and grounds were completed.
Our Lady of Good Counsel Parish Karrinyup was founded in 1965. Fr Michael Byrne was the first parish priest. Before any buildings were completed Mass was held in a classroom at the nearby Newborough Primary School and for two years school children were transported to Our Lady of Grace, North Beach.
Our Lady of Good Counsel is situated on Noongar land and has a high elevation overlooking the ocean. The word
Karrinyup was originally derived from the word Careniup, a combination of the Noongar name for a nearly swamp which means “the place where bush kangaroo graze and up meaning “near water”.
The school was opened in 1965 by the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth – the principal was Sister Boniface. The order staffed the school until 1970 when lay administrators and teachers took over responsibilities.
The church was built in 1970 largely by parishioners. The presbytery was built by contract builders around the same time.
Upgrades were made over the years and were completed in 2010